Eric Margolis joins Scott to discuss his latest article, “Sorry, Chump, You Didn’t Have It In Writing” in which Margolis recalls the history of broken promises and lies made to Russia by NATO and the United States, and the subsequent increase in tension and near misses in Eastern Europe. Scott then asks Margolis: just how evil—and how ambitious—is Vladimir Putin? Margolis describes his visit in 1990 to the KGB headquarters and Putin-as-Russian-Pinochet, how U.S. corporate interests pillaged Russia after the fall of the wall, and how Vladimir Putin helped rebuild the country in the aftermath. Scott then transitions to Palestine and asks Margolis how he explains the Israel-Palestine conflict to people.
Eric Margolis is a foreign affairs correspondent and author of “War at the Top of the World” and “American Raj.” Follow him on Twitter @EricMargolis and visit his website, ericmargolis.com.
Discussed on the show:
- James Baker
- “Newly Declassified Documents: Gorbachev Told NATO Wouldn’t Move Past East German Border” (The National Interest)
- Singing Revolution
- “The Birth of the Global Nation,” by Strobe Talbott (Time)
- NATO-Russia relations
- Eduard Shevardnadze
- George Kennan
- “Foreign Affairs; Now a Word From X,” by Thomas Friedman (The New York Times)
- “U.S. and Russia Reach Deal to Destroy Syria’s Chemical Arms” (The New York Times)
- “Putin the Patriot,” by Justin Raimondo (Antiwar.com)
- “Palestinians, Get Out!” by Eric Margolis (EricMargolis.com)
- “685: The Great Scott Horton” (The Jason Stapleton Program)
- “12/18/17 Ramzy Baroud on the long-awaited death of the Two-State Solution” (The Scott Horton Show)
Today’s show is sponsored by: The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Roberts and Roberts Brokerage Inc.; LibertyStickers.com; TheBumperSticker.com; and ExpandDesigns.com/Scott.
Check out Scott’s Patreon page.