The Intercept’s Jon Schwarz returns to discuss the history of the Iraq War 15 years after one of the most shameful events in U.S. history. Schwarz and Scott run through and debunk the myriad lies and propaganda that were spread before and after the invasion. Schwarz then details through the major players in and out of the government who cheerleaded for war in Iraq and throughout the Middle East. The two then discuss the role Ariel Sharon and the Israeli government pumped the Bush administration with even more lies.
Jon Schwarz is a writer for The Intercept. Previously he worked for documentary film maker Michael Moore and his blog Tiny Revolution. Follow him on Twitter @schwarz.
Discussed on the show:
- The Path of War Timeline (Larisa Alexandrovna and Muriel Kane)
- “The Secret Casualties of Iraq’s Abandoned Chemical Weapons” (The New York Times)
- “Secret U.S. Mission Hauls Uranium From Iraq” (Associated Press)
- “Saddam’s Green Light,” by Robert Parry (Consortium News)
- Hussein Kamel al-Majid
- “U.S. taking tough stand against Saddam Hussein” (UPI)
- Operation Desert Fox
- Mickey Herskowitz
- Project for the New American Century (PNAC)
- “Rebuilding America’s Defenses” (Project for the New American Century)
- “A Clean Break: A New Strategy for Securing the Realm by David Wurmser 1996” (ScottHorton.org)
- “Coping with Crumbling States: A Western and Israeli Balance of Power Strategy for the Levant by David Wurmser 1996” (ScottHorton.org)
- How Chalabi Conned the Neocons (Jon Dizard)
- “16 Articles That Expose How They Lied Us Into War in Iraq,” by Dan Sanchez (Medium)
- Why We Fight
- Jeffrey Goldberg
- “US: Lockheed Stock and Two Smoking Barrels,” by Richard Cummings (Playboy)
- “How to Make Millions by Selling War,” by Ken Silverstein (Vice)
- “Ron Paul Makes Neocon Wolfowitz Squirm in his Seat at GOP Debate!” (YouTube)
- Operation Grapes of Wrath
- “CIA Agents Were On The Ground Before We Invaded Iraq, And They Knew It Was Going To Be A Clusterf*@k” (Task and Purpose)
- “Tortured Reasoning,” by David Rose (Vanity Fair)
- Donald Rumsfeld Unknown Unknowns ! (YouTube)
- “The Revolution,” by Walter Russell Mead (Esquire)
- “The Struggle for Iraq: Diplomacy; Iraq Said to Have Tried to Reach Last-Minute Deal to Avert War,” by James Risen (The New York Times)
- “Taking Flight,” by Ryan Devereaux (The Intercept)
- “No Fly Zones Over Iraq,” by Jeremy Scahill (CounterPunch)
This episode of the Scott Horton Show is sponsored by: Zen Cash, The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Roberts and Roberts Brokerage Inc.; LibertyStickers.com; TheBumperSticker.com; and ExpandDesigns.com/Scott.
Check out Scott’s Patreon page.