Ukrainian Amputee Soldiers Continue to Fight

by | Feb 24, 2025

Ukrainian Amputee Soldiers Continue to Fight

by | Feb 24, 2025

ginmut5xoaijbrc

The Associated Press interviewed several Ukrainian soldiers who suffered horrific injuries, leaving them with permanent disabilities, but they returned to the battlefield.

According to the outlet, “Many Ukrainian brigades have at least one, often several, amputee soldiers still on active duty.” One such soldier, Andrii Rubliuk, lost both his arms in a mine explosion in 2022. 

Disabled soldiers serving on the battlefield come as Kiev needs more soldiers to fill its ranks. Officials in the Joe Biden and Donald Trump administrations urged Ukraine to expand its draft to include 18-24-year-old men. 

The number of casualties in the war is unclear. Trump has repeatedly stated that millions have died in the conflict. Both Moscow and Kiev are reluctant to share information on casualties. Zelensky recently said 46,000 Ukrainians had been killed and 380,000 injured.

In the first year and a half of the conflict, 20,000-50,000 Ukrainians had already suffered amputations. Senator Amy Klobuchar recently said Ukraine was suffering 1,000 casualties per day. If that pace continued through the three-year conflict, that would put the total at over 1 million. 

Under President Biden, Washington used Kiev as a bulwark to weaken Russia, leaving, as the Washington Post’s David Ignatius explained, Ukraine to pay the “butcher’s bill.” Under the previous administration, the White House refused to engage the Kremlin in talks to end the war while also discouraging Ukrainian President Zelenksy from doing so. 

Trump has repeated a notably different message about Ukraine. He has reiterated several times that he wants to “stop the dying” in the war. He has also ordered American diplomats to engage with Russia, with a second round of talks expected later this week. 

Kyle Anzalone

Kyle Anzalone

Kyle Anzalone is news editor of the Libertarian Institute, opinion editor of Antiwar.com and co-host of Conflicts of Interest with Will Porter and Connor Freeman.

View all posts

Recent Articles

Recent

North Korea Conducts Third Missile Test This Month

North Korea Conducts Third Missile Test This Month

North Korea test-fired several short-range ballistic missiles as the US and South Korea are engaging in war games. The South Korean military reported the North Korean missile test on Thursday. The missile launch occurred after President Trump requested a meeting with...

read more
USS George Washington Arrives in the Middle East

USS George Washington Arrives in the Middle East

US Central Command (CENTCOM) announced that the USS George Washington aircraft carrier strike group had arrived in the Arabian Sea. The USS Washington will replace the USS Abraham Lincoln after multiple reports of horrendous conditions for sailors on the aircraft...

read more

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This