Military Told Trump Iran Attack Would Face Challenges Due to Stockpile Shortages

by | Feb 23, 2026

Military Told Trump Iran Attack Would Face Challenges Due to Stockpile Shortages

by | Feb 23, 2026

500h q95 (41)

President Donald Trump’s options for a war with Iran may be limited by a diminished arsenal.

“Joint Chiefs Chair Dan Caine expressed concerns to Trump at the White House last Tuesday that any major operation against Iran will face challenges because the US munitions stockpile has been significantly depleted by US’s ongoing defense of Israel and support for Ukraine,” the Washington Post’s John Hudson wrote on X Monday.

Following the Russian invasion of Ukraine and Hamas attack on southern Israel, Washington has sent a massive amount of military assistance to Kiev and Tel Aviv. After the war with Iran in June, US officials reported that a significant portion of America’s stockpile of interceptors had been depleted defending Israel.

According to Hudson, Crain has raised other issues with Trump about attacking Iran. “In Pentagon meetings this month, Caine also has raised concerns about the scale of any Iran campaign, its inherent complexity and the possibility of US casualties,” he wrote. “The general has said that any operation would be made all the more difficult by a lack of allied support for a US attack on Iran.”

Iran has threatened to respond to any attack by striking American military bases in the Middle East and Israel.

While Crain has raised concerns about logistics and US casualties, a source told Hudson that he will comply with what Trump orders. Craine “will support whatever decision the president makes, as he did with previous operations, and does not want to be seen as taking any option off the table,” the Washington Post reporter wrote on X.

Kyle Anzalone

Kyle Anzalone

Kyle Anzalone is news editor of the Libertarian Institute, opinion editor of Antiwar.com and co-host of Conflicts of Interest with Will Porter and Connor Freeman.

View all posts

Our Books

Recent Articles

Recent

IDF: Iran Peace Proposal Is a Bad Deal for Israel

IDF: Iran Peace Proposal Is a Bad Deal for Israel

A senior Israeli military official said that the peace proposal being discussed by the US and Iran is a bad deal for Israel.  Ynet reports a senior official in the IDF said that the peace proposal being negotiated between the US and Israel would be “a bad deal for...

read more

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This