US Slaps Sanctions on ICC President, Prosecutor

by | Aug 18, 2026

US Slaps Sanctions on ICC President, Prosecutor

by | Aug 18, 2026

ep 182157a droi juri

DROI JURI joint Committee - Exchange of views with Judge Tomoko Akane, President of the International Criminal Court

The US placed sanctions on two officials with the International Criminal Court (ICC). 

On Tuesday, Secretary of State and National Security Adviser Marco Rubio announced that the US would sanction Tomoko Akane of Japan, the ICC president, and Abdoulaye Seye of Senegal, an ICC senior trial lawyer. He said the sanctions were a part of a “diplomatic campaign to dismantle the ICC’s threat to our national sovereignty.”

Rubio added Akane and Seye had “directly engaged in efforts by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain, or prosecute officials whose government has not consented to ICC jurisdiction.”

The State Department announced it would target the ICC last month. “Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced a sweeping campaign to dismantle the threat posed by the International Criminal Court to US sovereignty,” a statement released by the State Department on Monday explained. “The campaign will feature a whole-of-government response to systematically disable the ICC’s ability to operate, target American servicemen or officials, or otherwise threaten American sovereignty.”

“The ICC poses an intolerable threat to US sovereignty – it claims the authority to prosecute and even imprison American servicemen and officials operating on behalf of America’s national interest,” it added.

The ICC was established to prosecute suspected war criminals who are not held accountable for their actions by their governments. Countries that are members of the court are required to comply with the ICC’s arrest warrants. 

In response to potential investigations of US war crimes committed in the Middle East, Congress passed the Hague Invasion Act, which grants the President power to use military force to retrieve Americans detained by the ICC. The US is not a party to the ICC. 

The ICC has also issued warrants for Palestinian officials for crimes committed on October 7, 2023, and Israeli officials for the genocide in Gaza. While Israel has killed the Palestinian officials targeted by the court, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant are wanted by the ICC.

Kyle Anzalone

Kyle Anzalone

Kyle Anzalone is news editor of the Libertarian Institute, opinion editor of Antiwar.com and co-host of Conflicts of Interest with Will Porter and Connor Freeman.

View all posts

Recent Articles

Recent

Trump Says No Scheduled Talks With Iran

Trump Says No Scheduled Talks With Iran

President Donald Trump said the diplomatic efforts to bring the war against Iran to an end have come to a halt.  “There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect,” the...

read more
Trump Threats to ‘Bomb the Sh*t Out of Oman’

Trump Threats to ‘Bomb the Sh*t Out of Oman’

President Donald Trump said that the US would attack Oman if Muscat interfered in Washington’s negotiations with Tehran.  Trump told Fox News journalist Trey Yingst: “If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the sh*t out of them.” Muscat has been negotiating with Tehran...

read more

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This