NATO Takes Command of US Carrier Strike Group for Massive Drill

by | May 17, 2022

NATO Takes Command of US Carrier Strike Group for Massive Drill

by | May 17, 2022

The USS Harry Truman aircraft carrier strike group and other American warships have come under the command of the NATO alliance for major military drills in the Baltic, Adriatic and Mediterranean Seas. 

Dubbed “Neptune Shield 22” (NESH 22), the war games will run from May 17-31 and involve 19 NATO members, among them Albania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey, the UK and the US.

A NATO press release said several US ships will come under the control of the alliance’s Naval Striking and Support Forces command – also known as STRIKFORNATO – for the duration of the military exercises. 

“During NESH 22, we will conduct the handover of command and control of the USS Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group (CSG) and the Combined Task Force 61/2, which includes the USS Kearsarge Amphibious Ready Group (ARG), and the 22d Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) from SIXTHFLT to STRIKFORNATO and the wider Alliance.”

The Neptune Shield drills are a part of a larger series of military operations launched by NATO in 2020 called Project Neptune, an initiative meant to improve integration between the STRIKFORNATO command and the US Navy’s 6th Fleet. Earlier this year, 15 ships and some 90 aircraft took part in another round of drills known as Neptune Strike, also conducted under the same project. 

The UK is currently leading another group of NATO members – as well non-members Ukraine, Georgia, Finland and Sweden – in military exercises just 40 miles from a Russian military base. Among the largest drills of their kind in decades, the “Hedgehog” exercise will kick off later this week in Estonia and continue until June 3, intended to simulate a Russian invasion of the Baltic state. A total of 15,000 troops from 14 countries will participate, according to NATO.

Kyle Anzalone and Will Porter

Kyle Anzalone is the opinion editor of Antiwar.com and news editor of the Libertarian Institute. He also hosts the Kyle Anzalone Show.

Will Porter is the assistant news editor of the Libertarian Institute and a former staff writer and editor at RT. He edited Scott Horton's 2024 book Provoked: How Washington started the New Cold War with Russia and the Catastrophe in Ukraine.

Kyle and Will host the Conflicts of Interest podcast along with Connor Freeman.

View all posts

Our Books

Shop books published by the Libertarian Institute.

libetarian institute longsleeve shirt

Our Books

cb0cb1ef 3fcb 417d 80d8 4eef7bbd8290

Recent Articles

Recent

News Roundup 4/4/2025

News Roundup 4/4/2025

US News White House Spent $40 Million In First Month Housing Prisoners at Gitmo The Institute Ukraine  NYT Investigation Reveals New Details About the US Proxy War in Ukraine The Institute  Russia Says It Cannot Accept US Proposals on Ukraine in Current Form AWC...

read more
News Roundup 3/28/2025

News Roundup 3/28/2025

US News Federal Agents Arrest Tufts Student as Part of Crackdown on Pro-Palestine Speech AWC Full Signal Chat Reveals US Officials Celebrated Bombing a Residential Building in Yemen AWC Russia Macron Says Potential European Force in Ukraine Could ‘Respond’ to Russian...

read more
News Roundup 3/25/2025

News Roundup 3/25/2025

Russia Zelensky: Russia Has Influenced the Trump Administration The Institute  US Holds Separate Talks With Russian and Ukrainian Officials The Institute  Iran Iran Says It’s Open to Indirect Talks With the US AWC Israel Gaza Health Ministry Releases Names of 15,613...

read more

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This