CENTCOM: Media Falsely Reported the Navy Is Attempting to Assist Ships Through the Strait of Hormuz

by | May 26, 2026

CENTCOM: Media Falsely Reported the Navy Is Attempting to Assist Ships Through the Strait of Hormuz

by | May 26, 2026

screenshot 2026 05 26 210510

US Central Command said reports that the Navy is escorting commercial ships through the Strait of Hormuz.

On Tuesday, The Wall Street Journal reported speaking with US military officials who said the Navy quietly resumed the operation to escort ships through the Strait of Hormuz. Earlier this month, Trump launched Project Freedom, a military operation where the Navy would aid commercial ships attempting to transit the Strait without approval from Tehran.

The operation quickly collapsed after Saudi Arabia and other US allies pulled their support.

Just hours after The Wall Street Journal first reported the news, CENTCOM said there were no ongoing US operations to assist vessels through the Strait.

“CLAIM: Recent media reporting claims that the U.S. Navy has restarted escorting or assisting commercial vessels during transits through the Strait of Hormuz. FALSE,” CENTCOM posted on X. “TRUTH: Project Freedom has not resumed, and U.S. forces are not currently escorting commercial vessels through the Strait of Hormuz.”

While CENTCOM denies the Wall Street Journal report is true, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the US still plans to force Tehran to give up control over the Strait. “What’s happening there is unlawful; it’s illegal. It’s unsustainable for the world; it’s unacceptable,” Rubio told reporters Tuesday. “The straits need to be open, unimpeded, without tolls. And obviously, that needs to happen immediately as soon as anything’s agreed to.”

Iran took control of the Strait after the US and Israel started a war in February. Tehran said that it will continue to control and charge fees for transiting the Strait of Hormuz.

Kyle Anzalone

Kyle Anzalone

Kyle Anzalone is news editor of the Libertarian Institute, opinion editor of Antiwar.com and co-host of Conflicts of Interest with Will Porter and Connor Freeman.

View all posts

Recent Articles

Recent

North Korea Conducts Third Missile Test This Month

North Korea Conducts Third Missile Test This Month

North Korea test-fired several short-range ballistic missiles as the US and South Korea are engaging in war games. The South Korean military reported the North Korean missile test on Thursday. The missile launch occurred after President Trump requested a meeting with...

read more
USS George Washington Arrives in the Middle East

USS George Washington Arrives in the Middle East

US Central Command (CENTCOM) announced that the USS George Washington aircraft carrier strike group had arrived in the Arabian Sea. The USS Washington will replace the USS Abraham Lincoln after multiple reports of horrendous conditions for sailors on the aircraft...

read more

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This