Thomas Massie Introduces Bill to Withdraw from NATO

by | Dec 11, 2025

Thomas Massie Introduces Bill to Withdraw from NATO

by | Dec 11, 2025

934a5267

Representative Thomas Massie has introduced legislation that will end US membership in the North Atlantic Alliance. 

“NATO is a Cold War relic. The United States should withdraw from NATO and use that money to defend our country, not socialist countries,” the Republican Congressman wrote. “Today, I introduced HR 6508 to end our NATO membership.”

In a statement, Massie argued NATO is a relic of the Cold War and an outdated pact. “NATO was created to counter the Soviet Union, which collapsed over thirty years ago. Since then, U.S. participation has cost taxpayers trillions of dollars and continues to risk US involvement in foreign wars,” he said. “Our Constitution did not authorize permanent foreign entanglements, something our Founding Fathers explicitly warned us against. America should not be the world’s security blanket—especially when wealthy countries refuse to pay for their own defense.”

Massie’s bill has companion legislation in the Senate, introduced by Mike Lee. “America’s withdrawal from NATO is long overdue. NATO has run its course – the threats that existed at its inception are no longer relevant 76 years later.” The Utah Senator continued, “If they were, Europe would be paying their fair share instead of making American taxpayers pick up the check for decades. My legislation will put America first by withdrawing us from the raw deal NATO has become.”

NATO was formed in 1949 to protect Western Europe from the Soviet Union. After the fall of the USSR, NATO has expanded to 32 states, including former Soviet states and Warsaw Pact members. 

The US attempted to make Kiev a member of the alliance, provoking Russia to invade Ukraine in 2022. Russia has demanded that Ukraine agree to never join NATO as a condition for ending the war. 

Kyle Anzalone

Kyle Anzalone

Kyle Anzalone is news editor of the Libertarian Institute, opinion editor of Antiwar.com and co-host of Conflicts of Interest with Will Porter and Connor Freeman.

View all posts

Recent Articles

Recent

Trump Says No Scheduled Talks With Iran

Trump Says No Scheduled Talks With Iran

President Donald Trump said the diplomatic efforts to bring the war against Iran to an end have come to a halt.  “There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect,” the...

read more
US Slaps Sanctions on ICC President, Prosecutor

US Slaps Sanctions on ICC President, Prosecutor

The US placed sanctions on two officials with the International Criminal Court (ICC).  On Tuesday, Secretary of State and National Security Adviser Marco Rubio announced that the US would sanction Tomoko Akane of Japan, the ICC president, and Abdoulaye Seye of...

read more

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This