Ukraine Has Not Fired a Missile Interceptor in Six Weeks

by | Aug 17, 2026

Ukraine Has Not Fired a Missile Interceptor in Six Weeks

by | Aug 17, 2026

500h q95 2026 08 17t163154.524

CNN embedded with a Ukrainian military unit that said they have been unable to intercept Russian missiles for over a month. 

CNN reported speaking with Ukrainian soldiers who operate Patriot air defense systems. One soldier said that a Patriot missile system has sat idle since it was last fired ten weeks ago. A second Patriot engineer said a launcher near him had not fired in six weeks. 

“This is a really heartbreaking sight when you have equipment but you’re not able to intercept any missile,” the soldier told the outlet. “Ballistic missiles are flying over your head and you are not able to do anything with it, and behind you, there are civilians.”

In a meeting with President Donald Trump last month, Ukrainian President Zelensky said he needed a “winter package” of 300 Patriot missiles. He warned that Kiev’s stockpile of interceptors is nearly depleted and Ukrainian energy infrastructure would be vulnerable to Russian missile attacks.

Trump may not be able to meet Zelensky’s request. The US has depleted its stockpile of advanced interceptors during the war against Iran. 

The Center for Strategic and International Studies reported the US had fewer than 827 Patriot missiles available in its arsenal. Before the war, the US had over 2,200 of the advanced interceptors. Additionally, the US has used about 40% of its THAAD interceptors, leaving just 278 in the Pentagon’s stockpiles. CNN confirmed the CSIS estimate with three sources familiar with the matter. 

Last week, the President’s top military aides advised Trump not to order a major attack on Iran due to the shortage of munitions.

Kyle Anzalone

Kyle Anzalone

Kyle Anzalone is news editor of the Libertarian Institute, opinion editor of Antiwar.com and co-host of Conflicts of Interest with Will Porter and Connor Freeman.

View all posts

Recent Articles

Recent

Trump Threats to ‘Bomb the Sh*t Out of Oman’

Trump Threats to ‘Bomb the Sh*t Out of Oman’

President Donald Trump said that the US would attack Oman if Muscat interfered in Washington’s negotiations with Tehran.  Trump told Fox News journalist Trey Yingst: “If Oman gets in the way, we’ll bomb the sh*t out of them.” Muscat has been negotiating with Tehran...

read more

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This