US to Ramp Up Military Support for Kenyan Operations in Haiti

by | Aug 28, 2024

US to Ramp Up Military Support for Kenyan Operations in Haiti

by | Aug 28, 2024

creator: gd jpeg v1.0 (using ijg jpeg v62), quality = 100

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100

The White House is upping its support for the Kenyan operations in Haiti by sending an additional two dozen armored vehicles. The US is backing Nairobi’s armed force in Port-au-Prince. 

On Friday, US Southern Command issued a statement on boosting military aid for the Kenyan forces in Haiti. “As part of the US government’s ongoing support to Haitian-led security efforts in the country, 24 additional MRAPS will be delivered and transferred to Kenyan personnel deployed to Haiti as part of the Multinational Security Support (MSS) mission.” It continues, “The MSS will add the vehicles to its existing fleet of 10 US-provided MRAPS.”

Earlier this year, Nairobi sent hundreds of armed troops to the Caribbean nation on what it dubs a “policing” operation. The US orchestrated the deployment of Kenyan soldiers to Haiti. 

Washington believed the troops could aid Haitian police in restoring power in Port-au-Prince to a government set up by the White House. Following the assassination of President Jovenal Moise in 2021, Haiti dissented into chaos under US-backed governments. 

The White House got authorization to finance, train, and arm a Kenyan-led military force to take control of Haiti from paramilitary groups and gangs. However, the troops are said to be in a policing role and are not operating as UN Peacekeepers. Peacekeepers have a dark legacy in Haiti including causing a cholera outbreak and rampant sexual abuse. 

Prime Minister Garry Conille said Wednesday the Kenyan forces will begin operations in one of Port au Prince’s roughest neighborhoods. “It’s not going to be quick,” he added, “we must be patient.”

Kyle Anzalone

Kyle Anzalone

Kyle Anzalone is news editor of the Libertarian Institute, opinion editor of Antiwar.com and co-host of Conflicts of Interest with Will Porter and Connor Freeman.

View all posts

Recent Articles

Recent

North Korea Conducts Third Missile Test This Month

North Korea Conducts Third Missile Test This Month

North Korea test-fired several short-range ballistic missiles as the US and South Korea are engaging in war games. The South Korean military reported the North Korean missile test on Thursday. The missile launch occurred after President Trump requested a meeting with...

read more
USS George Washington Arrives in the Middle East

USS George Washington Arrives in the Middle East

US Central Command (CENTCOM) announced that the USS George Washington aircraft carrier strike group had arrived in the Arabian Sea. The USS Washington will replace the USS Abraham Lincoln after multiple reports of horrendous conditions for sailors on the aircraft...

read more

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This