David Swanson discusses the foreign policy of the incoming Biden administration. On the positive side, he thinks there’s a good likelihood of ending U.S. support for the war in Yemen, lifting some of America’s oppressive economic sanctions and better relations with Iran and Cuba. But on the other hand, many of Biden’s key appointments have been people who support more war and international hegemony for the United States at any cost. In particular, this means expanding NATO even farther into Eastern Europe and challenging China for global economic supremacy. Peaceful relations with both Russia and China, Scott reminds us, are absolutely crucial not just for America, but for the future of the human race itself. Any policy that threatens this peace must be energetically opposed.
Discussed on the show:
- “11/11/20 David Swanson: Leaving World War II Behind” (The Libertarian Institute)
- “Nyet Means Nyet: Russia’s Nato Enlargement Redlines” (WikiLeaks)
- “Pope’s Words in Open Letter to Joe Biden” (Let’s Try Democracy)
- “Toward a Neo-Reaganite Foreign Policy” (Carnegie Endowment for International Peace)
- “How America Should Deal With Russia” (Foreign Affairs)
- “Ukraine crisis: Transcript of leaked Nuland-Pyatt call” (BBC News)
David Swanson is an author, activist, journalist, radio host, and Nobel Peace Prize Nominee. He is the author of War is a Lie, When the World Outlawed War and Leaving World War II Behind. Find him on Twitter @davidcnswanson.
This episode of the Scott Horton Show is sponsored by: The War State, by Mike Swanson; Tom Woods’ Liberty Classroom; ExpandDesigns.com/Scott; Photo IQ; Green Mill Supercritical; Zippix Toothpicks; and Listen and Think Audio.
Shop Libertarian Institute merch or donate to the show through Patreon, PayPal, or Bitcoin: 1Ct2FmcGrAGX56RnDtN9HncYghXfvF2GAh.
Podcast (thescotthortonshow): Play in new window | Download