We discuss Danny’s experience on the ground at the protests in Kansas City and the broader protest movement, whether this is an insurrection, the idea of calling in the military to act as a police force or worse, and the parallels between current policing practices and counterinsurgency missions.
Major Danny Sjursen is a retired US Army strategist, West Point grad and former history instructor at West Point. He served tours with reconnaissance units in Iraq and Afghanistan. He is the author of a memoir and critical analysis of the Iraq War titled: Ghostriders of Baghdad. His articles are published by numerous media outlets: antiwar.com, The American Conservative, Truthdig, TomDispatch and others.
Joanne Leon is the host of the Around the Empire podcast.
- Dispatches From Kansas City: The ‘Insurrection’ That Wasn’t (May 30-31, 2020), Danny Sjursen
- Do Police Face Less Discipline Than U.S. Soldiers?, Danny Sjursen
- Military Officers And Vets Uncomfortable With Trump’s Domestic ‘Battlespace’, Mark Perry
- Book: Ghostriders of Baghdad: Soldiers, Civilians, and the Myth of the Surge, Danny Sjursen
- Book: Patriotic Dissent: America in the Age of Endless War, Danny Sjursen