- Police departments are not turning over data on use of force. [Link]
- The US government will buy 1.7 million doses of the five-day antiviral treatment drug molnupiravir. The drug is made by Merck and does not have FDA emergency approval for Covid-19. [Link]
- The US sanctioned four Nicaraguans, including the daughter of the president. [Link]
War Powers Report
- Biden has submitted his first War Powers Report to Congress. [Link]
- The US will continue counter-terror operations in Afghanistan after the withdrawal is completed.
- The report claims the US has significantly degraded ISIS in Syrian and Iraq and continues to maintain troops in both countries.
- 2,700 troops in Saudi Arabia supporting War in Yemen.
- Nearly 3,000 troops deployed to Jordan for anti-ISIS operations.
- 80 soldiers in Lebanon assisting with counter-terror operations.
- An undisclosed number of troops deployed to Turkey for anti-ISIS operations.
- Forces deployed outside of Somalia carry out operations against al-Shabaab and ISIS in Somalia. Airstrikes are also used against the groups.
- Troops based in Kenya and Djibouti carry out counter-terror operations in East Africa.
- Surveillance in the African Sahel for counter-terror operations. The information is shared with African and European partners.
- Over 800 troops are deployed to Niger for counter-terror operations.
- The US maintains the torture prison in Cuba with 40 detainees.
- An undisclosed number of troops in the Philippines for counter-terror operations.
- 379 troops are deployed to Egypt on a mission from 1981.
- Over 700 American troops are deployed to Kosovo as a part of the NATO mission.
- Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin orders the Pentagon to stop talking about China and act like China is a “threat.” The statement comes after Ely Ratner completed his review of US china policy and found a “say-do gap.” [Link]
- The US is considering carrying out airstrikes to prevent the fall of major Afghan cities. [Link]
- An unknown group of gunmen killed ten men working on a demining project. [Link]
- Qatar hosts the Taliban and Afghan government for direct talks. [Link]
- Israel carried out several airstrikes in Syria killing 11. [Link]
- Israeli special forces carried out a raid in the West Bank killing one man – who Israel claims was a militant – and two PA security officers. [Link]
- The US carried out military drills with Saudi Arabia this week. [Link]
- The US says indirect talks with Iran will resume this week in Vienna. [Link]
- The US warns Cuba and Venezuela to refuse any Iranian ships. The US believes that Iranian ships off Africa’s coast may attempt to cross the Atlantic. [Link]
- Rockets hit two Iraqi bases that house US troops or contractors. [Link]