CENTCOM Announces End of US Blockade on Iran

by | Jun 18, 2026

CENTCOM Announces End of US Blockade on Iran

by | Jun 18, 2026

ussabrahamlincoln

USS Abraham Lincoln transits the Arabian Sea (Source: CENTCOM)

US Central Command announced on Thursday that the US military was lifting its blockade of Iranian ports in line with the Memorandum of Understanding signed by President Trump and Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian to bring an end to the conflict between the two nations.

“Today, US forces lifted the blockade on all maritime traffic entering and exiting Iranian ports and coastal areas, in accordance with the President’s direction. American forces are not impeding the transit of vessels to or from Iranian ports. All US military blockade enforcement efforts have ceased,” CENTCOM said.

The command said that US forces will remain in the area, as US officials have said the blockade can be re-imposed if it deems that Iran isn’t fulfilling its commitments under the deal.

“Our great Naval Ships will remain in the general area to make sure that all aspects of the agreement are adhered to, obeyed and in full force and effect,” CENTCOM said.

The US had been enforcing the blockade on Iran for over two months, which involved at least nine attacks on civilian commercial vessels, including a missile strike last week that killed three Indian mariners, an incident President Trump expressed no regret about when meeting with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the G7 summit in France on Wednesday.

It’s expected to take some time for traffic through the Strait of Hormuz to return to anywhere near pre-war levels, but oil prices have been dropping since the US and Iran signed the MoU.

This article was originally featured at Antiwar.com and is republished with permission.

Dave DeCamp

Dave DeCamp

Dave DeCamp is the news editor of Antiwar.com. Follow him on Twitter @decampdave.

View all posts

Recent Articles

Recent

North Korea Conducts Third Missile Test This Month

North Korea Conducts Third Missile Test This Month

North Korea test-fired several short-range ballistic missiles as the US and South Korea are engaging in war games. The South Korean military reported the North Korean missile test on Thursday. The missile launch occurred after President Trump requested a meeting with...

read more
USS George Washington Arrives in the Middle East

USS George Washington Arrives in the Middle East

US Central Command (CENTCOM) announced that the USS George Washington aircraft carrier strike group had arrived in the Arabian Sea. The USS Washington will replace the USS Abraham Lincoln after multiple reports of horrendous conditions for sailors on the aircraft...

read more

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This