Officials Say Attack on Iran Could Occur Within Days

by | Feb 19, 2026

Officials Say Attack on Iran Could Occur Within Days

by | Feb 19, 2026

500h q95 (38)

Former and current US officials tell the Washington Post that the strike force to strike Iran is nearly complete, and President Donald Trump could begin the war in the coming days. 

The officials explained that the last major military assets on their way to the region are the USS Gerald R Ford aircraft carrier strike group. The warships are near the Strait of Gibraltar and could be in position within days. 

The Ford is the second aircraft carrier strike group in the Middle East; the USS Abraham Lincoln arrived in the region last month. The military buildup also includes scores of fighter jets, support aircraft, and missile defense systems. 

President Trump has threatened to attack Iran over a crackdown on protesters, its missile program, and rebuilding its nuclear facilities. On Thursday, he suggested he would order an attack on Iran if Tehran does not agree to a deal within ten days. 

On Saturday, Reuters reported speaking with US officials who said the military buildup was aimed at being able to sustain a weeks-long war against Iran. 

Congress has not authorized Trump to go to war in the Middle East, and Iran is not threatening to attack the US. Some members of the administration, such as Vice President JD Vance, claimed that Iran’s nuclear program is a national security concern. However, the White House also asserts that Iran’s nuclear program was completely destroyed during the 12-day war in June. 

Kyle Anzalone

Kyle Anzalone

Kyle Anzalone is news editor of the Libertarian Institute, opinion editor of Antiwar.com and co-host of Conflicts of Interest with Will Porter and Connor Freeman.

View all posts

Our Books

Recent Articles

Recent

Report: US Withdrawing Troops from Syria

Report: US Withdrawing Troops from Syria

According to the Wall Street Journal, the US is currently removing its forces from Syria. American forces occupied large parts of Syria for over a decade.  Three officials told the outlet that the 1,000 soldiers in Syria were in the process of withdrawing. The...

read more
Trump Preparing for Major War with Iran

Trump Preparing for Major War with Iran

A US official said that the White House is preparing for a massive, weeks-long attack on Iran.  According to a US official speaking with Axios, President Donald Trump is prepared to start a war with Iran that will be much broader in scope than the 12-day conflict that...

read more

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This