Scott inverviews Tom Secker about the immense influence that the police, the military, the intelligence agencies and, especially, the Department of Homeland Security wield in Hollywood. Secker describes the complicated process required for a writer or producer to include any material about the U.S. security state apparatus in a movie or TV show, detailing just how much creative control these agencies demand in exchange for information, shooting locations and special equipment—in other words, all the things that are necessary to complete a project involving one of these organizations at all. The result is that hugely popular shows and movies like Breaking Bad, Homeland and Lone Survivor end up being giant PR projects for the U.S. government.
Discussed on the show:
- “Homeland Security in Hollywood: How the Dept Controls Its Image On Screen” (Spy Culture)
- The Test of Our Times: America Under Siege…And How We Can Be Safe Again
- “Homeland (TV Series 2011–2020)” (IMDb)
- “The Punisher (TV Series 2017–2019)” (IMDb)
- “The Rookie (TV Series 2018– )” (IMDb)
- “Full Text of F.B.I. Agent’s Letter to Director Mueller” (The New York Times)
- “Lone Survivor (2013)” (IMDb)
- “Patriots Day (2016)” (IMDb)
- “Deepwater Horizon (2016)” (IMDb)
- “Dirty Harry (1971)” (IMDb)
- “The French Connection (1971)” (IMDb)
- “Dragnet (1987)” (IMDb)
- “Coyote (TV Series)” (IMDb)
- “The Shield (TV Series 2002–2008)” (IMDb)
- “Top Gun: Maverick (2020)” (IMDb)
Tom Secker is a British-based journalist, author, and podcaster specializing in the security services, Hollywood, propaganda, censorship and the history of terrorism. He is the author of National Security Cinema: The Shocking New Evidence of Government Control in Hollywood. Find him on Twitter @spyculture.
This episode of the Scott Horton Show is sponsored by: NoDev NoOps NoIT, by Hussein Badakhchani; The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Tom Woods’ Liberty Classroom; ExpandDesigns.com/Scott; Listen and Think Audio; TheBumperSticker.com; and LibertyStickers.com.
Donate to the show through Patreon, PayPal, or Bitcoin: 1Ct2FmcGrAGX56RnDtN9HncYghXfvF2GAh.
Podcast (thescotthortonshow): Play in new window | Download