The City of Milwaukee has reached a tentative $2.3 million settlement with the family of Dontre Hamilton, who was shot and killed by a Milwaukee police officer three years ago in Red Arrow Park.
The possible settlement was made public Tuesday when a resolution authorizing it was assigned to the city’s Judiciary and Legislation Committee. The settlement must be approved by the committee, the full Common Council and Mayor Tom Barrett.
“The parties have been in negotiations and have reached a tentative agreement at that amount, but we will not be making further comments until after the proposed settlement is approved,” said Jonathan Safran, one of the attorneys for the Hamilton family, when reached late Tuesday.
Patrick Curley, Barrett’s chief of staff, said the mayor had been briefed but could not comment due to ongoing negotiations.
About a year ago, Hamilton’s family filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against the city over his death. Last month, a federal judge ruled in the family’s favor on one of their claims, that now-fired officer Christopher Manney violated Hamilton’s constitutional rights when he conducted a pat-down after confronting him.
The city appealed that ruling to the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals and the proceedings were put on hold until the Appeals Court made a decision.
The proposed settlement comes three months after Common Council approved paying $2.5 million to a woman raped by a Milwaukee police officer in 2010. The rape occurred after the officer responded to her 911 call. The officer was fired and is serving a 24-year federal prison term.