Scott talks to Gareth Porter about the idea of a war with Iran. Certain hawkish figures in the U.S. government have been slowly and steadily pushing for such a war for a long time, and have gained even more prominence during the Trump presidency, as he has shown unprecedented support for the Israeli government. Israel’s prominence in the Middle East, says Porter, is of course what the tensions with Iran have always been about; Iran is in no way a threat to the actual interests and safety of Americans—but it is a threat to America and Israel’s aspirations of dominating the Middle East.
Discussed on the show:
- “Russia Secretly Offered Afghan Militants Bounties to Kill U.S. Troops, Intelligence Says” (The New York Times)
- “Long-Planned and Bigger Than Thought: Strike on Iran’s Nuclear Program” (The New York Times)
- “Pompeo and Netanyahu paved a path to war with Iran, and they’re pushing Trump again” (The Grayzone)
- “When the Ayatollah Said No to Nukes” (Foreign Policy)
- “NATO officials were briefed on Russian bounties on US soldiers” (Business Insider)
- “Israel hoping for Iran confrontation before November election: sources” (Business Insider)
Gareth Porter is an investigative historian and journalist on the national security state, and author of Manufactured Crisis: The Untold Story of the Iran Nuclear Scare. Follow him on Twitter @GarethPorter and listen to Gareth’s previous appearances on the Scott Horton Show.
This episode of the Scott Horton Show is sponsored by: NoDev NoOps NoIT, by Hussein Badakhchani; The War State, by Mike Swanson; WallStreetWindow.com; Tom Woods’ Liberty Classroom; ExpandDesigns.com/Scott; Listen and Think Audio; TheBumperSticker.com; and LibertyStickers.com.
Donate to the show through Patreon, PayPal, or Bitcoin: 1Ct2FmcGrAGX56RnDtN9HncYghXfvF2GAh.
Podcast (thescotthortonshow): Play in new window | Download